- Bring your written answers to class, we'll swap and grade them.
- You get a run just for taking the quiz, and if you ace it with six correct answers you'll get another. There's no penalty for missed questions, you've got nothing to lose. The three exams (at the end of February, March, & April) will be drawn from the quizzes, so these questions are part of your growing study guide.
- Supplement my quiz questions with your own, in the "comments" section below, and earn a run.
- Your correct answers to others' supplemental quiz questions count.
- You can also earn additional runs, up to five per class, by posting relevant comments, questions for discussion, links to articles and videos etc.
- Note in your dated personal log if you took the quiz, who graded it, if you aced it, if you posted any comments, questions, or links, or did anything else you think entitles you to a run.
- Don't forget to post your Introduction ("Who are you? Why are you here?")
1.(T/F) Campbell's examples of bioethical questions include whether health care professionals must meet higher standards than businesspeople, the ethics of longevity via pharmacology, designer babies, human/animal hybrids, state paternalism, euthanasia, and environmental ethics.
2. Bioethics just means _______.
3. The _________ required that 'The health of my patient must be my first consideration.' (Hippocratic Oath, Geneva Code, British Medical Association, International Association of Bioethics)
4. What 40-year U.S. study denied information and treatment to its subjects?
5. What did Ivan Ilich warn about in Medical Nemesis?
6. Bioethics has expanded its focus from an originally narrower interest in what relationship?
Some BONUS QUESTIONS:
- Bioethics has broken free of what mentality?
- (T/F) Campbell thinks caveat emptor is a good principle for governing the contractual clinical encounter between doctor and patient.
- Do descriptive claims settle evaluative issues?
- Name a bioethical website Campbell recommends.
- Are there any important bioethical issues you think Campbell has neglected to mention in ch.1?
- What do you see as the connection between bioethical and environmental issues?
- Do you agree that we have "over-medicalized" human experience?
- Is there anything wrong with "medical tourism"?
- Do you agree that the doctor-patient relationship is NOT "a straightforward provider-consumer relationship? Why or why not?
- Etc. etc. - submit your DQ suggestions in "comments" below.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/nyregion/colleagues-express-disbelief-over-arrest-of-doctor-with-picture-perfect-life.html Many colleagues reacted with disbelief after Dr. David H. Newman was charged with sexually abusing two patients in an emergency room at Manhattan’s Mount Sinai Hospital.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/health/centenarians-proliferate-and-live-longer.html?hpw&rref=health&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region®ion=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0 The number of Americans age 100 and older — those born during Woodrow Wilson’s administration and earlier — is up by 44 percent since 2000, federal health officials reported Thursday.