Friday, April 10, 2015

Stewart Udall

After challenging us all to think of examples of people who flourished in the later years of long and constructive lives, I thought first of the late Stewart Udall (1920-2010). His "letter to my grandchildren"* is a priceless model of the kind of wisdom only years can bring. He did a moving interview with Bob Edwards not long before his death. Quite a legacy.

*"Go well, do well, my children! Support all endeavors that promise a better life for the inhabitants of our planet. Cherish sunsets, wild creations, and wild places. Have a love affair with the wonder and beauty of the earth!"

2 comments:

  1. This man's message is extremely powerful. Making innovations to the Earth for the next generation to flourish. It reminds me of what I am doing with my life. I want to set an example by becoming a physician and following my dreams. I will be proving to later generations, even my own children, that it is possible to follow dreams. I also am working hard now to provide a better future for my children(that haven't been born into this world yet). I am always thinking about them in a way. When I think something is too hard, I keep working hard at it because I know it would be for their benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish more people shared this man's general outlook. A true example of wisdom

    ReplyDelete