Thursday, April 9, 2015

Dependence April 9, 2015

"I'm eighty years old and at eighty, I have the right to make up my mind and do what I want to do." (AG 66)
DQ:  At what point should an elderly person's right to make up their mind be taken away?  Is it right for family members to forcibly place their elderly family members into a nursing home to keep them safe?

Here's a funny video that relates to our discussion.  Elderly people should have their rights to do what they want... like the right to party.
http://fox8.com/2015/04/09/video-residents-at-westlake-assisted-living-facility-fight-for-their-right-to-party/

3 comments:

  1. FQ:

    1. In Philip Roth's novel Everyman, "Old age is not a battle. Old Age is a ________."
    Answer: massacre

    2. In early 1900's, where did old people stay?(p.62)
    Answer: poorhouses

    3. _________provided amounts of government funds for hospital construction(p. 69)
    Answer: Hill-Burton Act

    4. One by one through the 1950's, the ______ closed(p. 70)
    Answer: poorhouses

    DQ: Is taking away independence taking away life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read an article about the independence of elderly people not too long ago. I never really thought about it, but the idea of losing my independence would be scarier than the idea of dying. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/elder/6836648/More-people-fear-losing-independence-in-old-age-than-death-survey-finds.html
    Apparently there are ways to put off losing your own independence, but, it almost seems inevitable to be honest.
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/24/staying-independent-in-old-age-with-a-little-help/?_r=0

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the funny video, just because I think this type of discussion needs some comic relief from time to time. Anyways, I think the elderly deserve the right to make up their mind, as long as others aren't put in danger due to those decisions.

    ReplyDelete