1. Sandel's deepest moral objection to enhancement is its alleged disfigurement of what relation?
2. Why is it a mistake to think of health in instrumental terms?
3. Designing parents are more likely to do what, or to neglect what parental duty?
4. Does Sandel consider genetic engineering similar in spirit to expensive private schools & tutors, piano lessons, SAT prep, etc.?
5. "Parents of college students are out of control." 54 How so?
6. How do Ritalin, Adderall etc differ from recreational drugs of the past?
1. What are your concerns about parenting, and meeting your parental obligations?
2. "No one aspires to be a virtuoso at health." 48 True? What does this mean?
3. Is enhancement a reflection of conditional (not unconditional) parental love, which on some accounts is not love at all? (See Shakespeare's Sonnet 116, Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove: O no; it is an ever-fixed mark etc.
4. Do you consider genetic engineering similar in spirit to expensive private schools & tutors, piano lessons, SAT prep, etc.?
5. Do you know any "out of control" hyperparents? If so, what's been the impact on their children and their relationship?
6. Do you know anyone who was happily enhanced by Ritalin (et al)? What would they say about the "giftedness" of life, pre-diagnosis?
Oliver Sacks on knowing he is dying; "I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet…" nytimes.com/2015/02/19/opi…
|Oxford Academic (@OUPAcademic)|