Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Wear Red Day

As we approach National Wear Red Day, we continue to feature some of our True Blue students who have been impacted by heart conditions.   This morning, we would like to introduce to you Lauren Davis, a current junior in the College of Media and Entertainment.  Lauren shared the following information about the impact of heart health on her life:

“I grew up in a very active household, my mom a marathon runner, my father a football star, my brother golf star, and I, a soccer player. However, things changed drastically for our family when my mom was diagnosed with a heart condition and had to undergo surgery. The major concern among everyone was the possibility of it being a genetic condition. I was tested at the age of 8, and at the time the doctors did not see anything wrong with my heart, but fast forward a few years later, things quickly changed.

I was having difficulty breathing and moments where I simply could not run. My family and I just thought that I could possibly have asthma, but when I went to the doctor, they said otherwise. I was diagnosed with an Atrial Septic Defect, which means that I had a hole in the upper chamber of the heart, and my heart was 2 times larger than it was supposed to be. At the age of 11, I had to undergo open heart surgery. During the surgery, they found I had a pulmonary vein going to the wrong side of my heart which added an extra 2 hours to the already 4-5 hour surgery.”

Come hear about Lauren’s recovery and what she wants other women to know at a brief program this Friday, February 2, at 10:00am in the Science Building Lobby.  Be sure to wear RED and take part in our campus photo opportunity.

A beverage reception will follow.

Thank you for your support of our programs!

Lisa Schrader, MPH, MCHES
Director of Health Promotion
Middle Tennessee State University
Phone: 615-494-8704


National Wear Red Day2

No comments:

Post a Comment