Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Attempt #2, Group 3 disscussion "Names"

Apparently I completely forgot how to use this website and my (attempted) post Monday did not work at all, My apologizes. But I think I got all the bugs Ironed out, so lets try this one more time.

Our random topic of discussion of choice was Names, and everything about them. While we did not have quite enough time to thouroghly explore any one way of thought concerning names we did cover a bit of many many ways of seeing names and problems they bare.

We had a discussed at length and never reached a consensus over which is more prominent: do YOU make the name, or does the NAME make you, or even somewhere in between.  Two of the floaters took two distinct sides.  When Josh arrived at our group he immediately took the side of a name being a mold that changes who you are even going so far as to call Josh his "slave" name.  This was rebutled by another Floater (Caleb I believe, sorry if I'm wrong) who, regardless of being pushed to change his name, plans to keep it and and give meaning to his name.

We had an interesting discussion within our group as several of us spoke of how we either did not like our given names, or were apathetic to them, and how we would change them.  Some of us were ok/apathetic and didn't want to change, others did not like our names and would change them in a heartbeat if given a chance, and One person said she strongly disliked her name yet would not change it.  Most of us did agree, or at least find it an interesting idea, to give all people one free name change after they reach a certain age, likely 21.  So that If they desire, they can choose their own name instead of taking their given one.

Overall I believe it was a very good introductory discussion and let us get to know each other and our personalities a bit better. 

Since our discussion was sparked by someone's interest in my name, I'll end with the quote that helped me find it.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others" -Secularized quote from Marianne Williamson

~The Shining Radiance

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Radiance, for persevering and posting. I'm wondering if the other authors have been having similar difficulties?

    Much does depend upon a name. But I have to say: I for one do not suspect myself of being secretly omnipotent. (I've wanted to tell my sister that for a long time, she uses this same Marianne Williamson quote for her email signature.)

    And just a reminder: these posts auto-tweet. It might be best not to lead with a statement like "I forgot how to use this website" etc. If it were my post I would have just called it "Names" and begun with a snappy statement. You don't want to waste any of your 140 characters.

    Shine on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nomenclature I think is something we ought not ignore when considering life in the future. Imagine a world where cosmetics is so greatly enhanced by our mastery of nanotechnology and the (Trans)human genome, that every morning, or perhaps moment you might change your appearance at the drop of a hat. Imagine women standing in the bathroom mirror shifting the entirety of their faces before business meetings rather than simply applying make up, and instead of barber shops, there were "salons" that spun tales of how primitive plastic surgery used to be. In such a world, what meaning does a name really have? Of course, we'd need something to identify ourselves with, but with such a command over our own image - how would anyone be able to know that the "Phil Oliver" I met yesterday is the same "Phil Oliver" that you met last month? We have the same problem now, without that level of control over our own aesthetic.

      Delete
    2. Just thought I'd add, I am in no way offended by your comment on the quote. I take most of my like of it from the end, not as much from the beginning. While maybe "powerful beyond measure" is a bit far, I do think most people hold themselves back from their full potential for fear how others would react. And "As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others"
      Those are the big parts I really like and I considered just posting from "we are all ment to shine" onwards, but I thought I'd post the full thing just for posterity.

      ~Radiance

      Delete