2. Whose errant article "Deadly Immunity" was retracted, but only in its corrected version?
3. Who said "a scientist is never certain"? OR, Who advocated "negative capability"?
4. What was the bioethicist who said "it's not a matter of if, but when" referring to?
5. Immunologist Polly Matzinger's _____ Model says the immune system is more responsive to entities that do damage than with those that are merely foreign.
6. Who said "we must cultivate our garden," which for Biss implies recognizing immunity as "a garden we tend together"?
- "Some prefer to assume health as an identity" 135 and not a fortunate but transient and vulnerable condition. Do you think this attitude leads those who hold it to feel less compassionate towards the sick, or less responsible for participating in behaviors that enhance the health of the whole community? Does it encourage a new and pernicious "social Darwinism"? 137
- What's your response to those who say that AIDS is a punishment for homosexuality, promiscuity, and addiction? 138
- Do you ever feel, when doing research - especially online research - that you've fallen down a rabbit hole? 139 How do you climb out? Is science a wonderland mostly in a good way?
- What's the best way to deal with prevalent misinformation and "sensationalist" misleading headlines that distort science: confront, correct, or ignore? 141 Do you agree that "most published research findings are false"? 142
- Are you optimistic about our "technologies for reproducing information" and our prospects for conquering the "mysterious unknown" of disease?
- Are we still in the same predicament as Defoe's narrator, "left to reckon with improbable theories and pure speculation" and fears of mysterious plague? 148 Was San Francisco c.1989 not that different from London c.1665?
- Can we defuse the "bomb" of antibiotic-resistant bacteria?
- Is Offit's respect for fear of vaccines but not for decisions not to vaccinate coherent? 150
- Does Stoicism seem right for our times? Is "apocalypse" an overstatement? 151 If we're too stoic, will we be vigorous enough in challenging those who do not acknowledge a civic responsibility to participate in measures to secure the entire community's health and safety?
- Is there any rationale for banning gays from giving blood? 157
- Are there "reasons to vaccinate that transcend medicine"? 158
- What does "cultivating our garden" mean to you, in either medical or broader contexts? 162
|Deborah Blum (@deborahblum)|
No possible acceptable defense: De Niro Defends Screening of Andrew Wakefield Anti-Vaccine Film at Tribeca Festival nyti.ms/1RErxol
|Joe Hanson (@jtotheizzoe)|
|Michael Shermer (@michaelshermer)|
There is an Intelligent Designer & his name is J. Craig Venter: "Design and synthesis of a minimal bacterial genome"science.sciencemag.org/
|NYT Health (@NYTHealth)|