Sunday, March 26, 2017

Response to Concluding Chapters "On Immunity"


Eula Bliss’s book On Immunity was an exceptional read and it touched on countless topics that were all intriguing and scary at the same time. I loved how she considered so many angles when it comes to approaching our immune system. She portrays how the immune system is so complex and how everyone has different opinions when it comes to the different aspects. I have always been an advocate for vaccines and after reading this book I still am, but I now have a better understanding of where people are coming from. I understand that some people are more traditional and old school and feel that children’s immune system should develop on its own and let it regulate itself. I agree with this because children’s immune systems are impressive and can fight off tons of bacteria and other infectious organisms, but I don’t see the harm in adding an extra boost to their immune system. In Bliss’s book, she mentions how her son received a vaccine for Chicken Pox and that at first she was hesitant, but later followed through on the doctor’s advice. When it comes to Chicken Pox, it leaves a leftover virus called varicella virus. This virus remains in your nerves and can become triggered again by intense amount of stress and if your body doesn’t keep it at bay it ultimately can lead to shingles; an intense inflammation of the nerves. One of my teachers here at MTSU had shingles and I saw how much pain it caused him and I also saw how all of that could have been avoided if he had received the vaccine when he was a kid. Chiefly, I would rather receive a vaccine and not need it versus not receiving the vaccine and contracting a horrible disease or harmful organism later down the road!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment