Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Garrison Keillor's doctor-search

Waiting for snow, hoping, praying

It has snowed a smidge in Minneapolis and I went to church Sunday to give thanks for it and ask for more. The TV weatherman talks about who might be “hit by” a snowstorm and who might “escape,” as if the flakes carry an infectious disease, but snow is light, it does not hit anybody so that you’d feel it, and true Minnesotans love a snowstorm, the hush of it, the sense of blessedness, as Degas loved the female form and Cezanne cared about apples. I thank God for all three, apples, women, and snow, and also for my good health.
 I am an old man chained to a computer and I get less exercise than your average statue in the park, meanwhile I avoid vegetables in favor of peanut butter and bacon sandwiches, I seldom wash my hands and often rub my eyes, my daily water intake is less than that of a small lizard, and yet I feel pretty darned good, knock on wood, whereas certain people I know who lead exemplary lives of daily workouts and hydration and veganism complain of insomnia, sharp stabbing pains, exhaustion, gassiness, and memory loss, so where is the justice, I ask you. How is it that the wicked prosper and the righteous suffer?
The answer is: I have an excellent doctor. I searched high and low for one, eliminating those with WASPy names like Postlethwaite or Dimbleby-Pritchett and those with old names (Amos, Portia, Naomi, Elijah) who maybe don’t know about antibiotics. I scratched very young doctors (Sean, Amber, Jared, Emerald) who maybe don’t understand geriatrics. I eliminated doctors who, when I called to inquire about an appointment, I was put on hold and heard flute music. I nixed doctors who had tassels on their shoes or whose M.D. degrees came from schools in Tahiti or Tijuana. And by the time I found a doctor, medical science had taken great leaps forward in the treatment of sedentary dehydrated germ-ridden men like me, so here I am.
Read the rest of the column >>>

3 comments:

  1. I don't think finding a good doctor allows you to do whatever you want! However, it is true that people who live the healthiest lives face afflictions. I suppose the fact that anything could happen at any moment could be reason for carefree living. However, if something doesn't happen to you spontaneously, you might regret the consequences of diabetes, COPD or some other illness relating to eating, smoking, alcohol consumption or whatever other vice one might have. Maybe, genetic testing will come to the point where they can tell us whether we are susceptible to diabetes or some other illness so we can know whether our carefree living, if not spontaneously disrupted, will have negative health outcomes later in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you. Even though we may find an excellent doctor, there are many things medical advancements have yet to cure or even maintain, so we must all continue living but be careful as to how some things may affect us.

      Delete
  2. Interesting advice. Good love is truly one of the most potent ingredients for happy living.

    ReplyDelete