Tuesday, January 22, 2019

My Thoughts on Kant's "Categorical Imperatives"

Kant's "Categorical Imperatives" are brought up and discussed thoroughly throughout today's reading. Of Kant's many views that are brought up in this chapter, there are a couple I would like to discuss and present my thoughts on.

To begin with, Kant's though that our duty is always to tell the truth no matter the consequences to ourselves or towards others. I personally disagree with this statement in that sometimes it is necessary to tell a lie or even a half-truth. For example, when the truth could put other people or even a society at risk, I believe it should not be told as it would cause greater harm than telling a simple lie even if it does mean abandoning our duty in Kant's view. Another example is based on the fact that humans are emotional creatures in which a truth, small or large, could be detrimental to another's mental health and I believe it is our duty as a part of society to help others and do what we can to increase the overall satisfaction and happiness within our society.

Although, I mostly disagree with Kant's views, this next view is one I strongly agree with and believe it should always be upheld: humanity should be treated as an end and never as a means. If society and governmental officials were to only treat humans as a means to an end, there would be no purpose in even coming to that end in my opinion. Even if humans were to be treated as a means to gain a specific end, an advancement in medical technology for example, the subjects would also needed to be treated as an end as well as they should only be required to participate if they volunteer in the prospect of bettering their own or other's lives who may be in the same situation as them.

These are only a few of Kant's views with "Categorical Imperatives". If anyone would like to discuss these or others, I would love to hear about your opinions on the matter.

1 comment:

  1. I find his idea concerning duty interesting because I feel like it reminds society to put an emphasis on moral relativism. Which I feel like is often overlooked because its complexity. However, because of this we often make laws and policies which are harmful to certain members of society.

    ReplyDelete