Eula Biss, On Immunity: An Innoculation 3-54
1. The stories of Achilles and the dragon imply what about immunity?
2. Our vaccines are now sterile, so anti-vaccine activists' greatest fear is not of bacterial but ____ contamination.
3. Who said love is known "by its fruits"?
4. What's the most common way that infants contract hep B?
5. Who or what were microbiologist Graham Rook's "old friends"?
6. What is variolation?
"A valuable asset placed in the care of someone to whom it does not ultimately belong" is Biss's definition of what? OR, it captures her understanding of what?
1. "No mortal can ever be made invulnerable." True? What do you see as the important implications of this for the issue of vaccination as public health policy?
2. Why does Biss dislike consumer confidence? What's wrong with conceiving of the public as "consumers" of health care?
3. Do you find anything sexual or vampiric in vaccination?
4. "Faith is that which enables us to believe things we know to be untrue." Is that fair? How does it apply to the vaccination debate?
5. Do you agree that one must enact and embody one's beliefs? What if one's beliefs imperil public health and safety?
6. "We owe our health to our neighbors." 20 But how do we persuade them, or ourselves, of this?
7. Have you heard anyone make the argument that public health measures are not for "people like us"? Did you construe it as covert, coded racism?
8. "Enlisting a majority in protection of a minority" is often a hard-sell in America. Is this a social justice issue, like voting rights?
9. Do you use antibacterial soap and sanitizer? Why?
10. Comment: "It is only when disease manifests as illness that we see it as unnatural." 42
11. Should it bother us that Rachel Carson apparently was wrong about DDT being carcinogenic? 44
12. Are you comfortable with the idea of being a cyborg? 49
13. Are you disproportionately afraid of sharks and oblivious to the dangers of bicycles? Does simply acknowledging such misperceptions help you to overcome them?
- See more at: http://sethmnookin.com/the-panic-virus/#sthash.QarcC7dA.dpuf
Defending Vaccination Once Again, With Feeling-