2. How much revenue did the rotavirus vaccine and Lipitor generate, respectively?
3. What did a Nashville woman sell for $50?
4. What did Jacobsen v. Massachussetts (1905) uphold?
5. What 20th century political philosopher does Biss's sister mention, in criticizing "Dr.Bob's" counsel of silence?
6. What paradoxical emotional state does Biss say is induced by citizenship in this country?
- Do we have too many childhood vaccines, administered too soon (regardless of however many a child could "theoretically handle")? 110, 113
- Are there any "vaccine profiteers"? 111 Do you agree that medical researchers (as distinct from pharmaceutical companies, or their Boards and stockholders) are not in it for personal profit? 112 Do you think many private practitioners rejected a life of research mainly for personal-financial reasons? What considerations will guide your own medical-vocational choices?
- Are people who want their children to get chicken pox "idiots"? 115
- Should we respect the "conscientious objections" of anti-vaxxers? Does it matter that they "honestly believe" unfounded, unreasonable claims about the hazards of immunization? 119
- We owe the existence of this nation in part to George Washington's campaign of compulsory smallpox inoculation, but also "owe some of its present character to resistance" to compulsion. 120 Have we achieved a proper balance between individual rights and the common good? Is balance a reasonable goal? Or would you defend tilting one way (individualism) or the other (the "general will")?
- Is conscience easily confused with any other feeling? 122
- If "the body is such a ready metaphor for the nation," is it best conceived as an independent individual or as part of & dependent on a collective and community?
- "We have sunshine in us!" 132 Should we be more optimistic about our future health prospects?
- Is there anything wrong with understanding immune system as reflecting not only immunology but also environmentalism, alternative health, and New Age msyticism? 133
I was a bit surprised by the vehemence of our milk discussion last time. Guess I wouldn't have been, if I'd Googled "milk ethics" -
|Science Friday (@scifri)|