NOTE: The exam originally scheduled for the 29th will be postponed.
1. What disappointed Biss about the immuno-semiotics conference?
2. What game metaphor does Biss prefer, to describe our immune systems and viral pathogens?
3. What caused the fatal form of croup that has virtually disappeared in this country since the '30s?
4. What caused the spread of puerpal sepsis ("childbed fever")?
5. Who were the Polio Pioneers? OR, Where is polio now endemic?
6. What does Arthur Caplan see as the biggest problem with the "restaurant model" of health care? 99
BONUS: What did Andrew Wakefield do to get branded "irresponsible and dishonest" by the British General Medical Council?
BONUS: A popular theory of disease among "people like [Biss]" blames ____, rather than filth or germs.
BONUS: "Most problems will get better if left alone" is an argument for what, according to Biss?
BONUS: What's wrong with "Dr. Bob's world"?
1. Is immunity mostly a metaphor? Is it correctly characterized by metaphors of war? Do you agree with the perspective of alt-med practitioners on this point? 57
2. Is parenting, with its attendant decisions impacting the future health of children, more "like time travel" than making health decisions for oneself? What do you make of the Star Trek example? Who in the present anti-vaxx scenario is "heroically return(ing) to the past to die"? 66
3. Why do you think women healers historically were regarded as witches, albeit "good" ones? Are women fully welcome in the ranks of professional medicine today?
4. Are there modern-day equivalents of "heroic" medicine (bleeding etc.)? Does it have a legitimate place in professional practice?
5. Are we overly obsessed with "purity" and with avoiding toxicity? Are we never cleaner than our environment at large?
*6. Should human breast milk be commodified? If so, how should it be regulated?
7. What can be done by western health workers to gain the trust of African and Muslim countries?
8. Is capitalism inherently inhumane? 95
10. Is maternalism in medicine preferable to paternalism?
|Dr Ellie Cannon (@Dr_Ellie)|
When I say "vaccinations save lives" and you tweet back at me with some guff, here, this is for you pic.twitter.com/A1sDnoLo5q