Tuesday, April 1, 2014
April 1 - Exam #2 NAME/Group: ______________
14. Key producers of genetic mutations include _______.
1. The idea of teleportation originated with Gene Roddenberry.
2. With synthesized DNA, says Venter, it will eventually be possible to create all forms of life.
3. Genomics cannot address the problem of antibiotic resistance.
4. Venter says his team added "watermarks" to their synthetic genome mainly to indulge his vanity.
5. In nature's "master robot" the ribosome, RNA copies instructions for making a protein from DNA.
6. There is more biomass in the visible world than in Earth's subsurface.
7. Mycoplasma genitalium was the first organism to be modeled in precise detail.
8. Panspermia is the hypothesis that life exists throughout the Universe, distributed by meteoroids, asteroids, comets and planetoids.
9. 200 years ago scientists had a hard time accepting DNA as a ''code script'' because it seemed far too complex in composition to transmit genetic information.
10. Taking antibiotics harms bacterial and human cells equally.
GLOSSARY: Apocalyptic, bacteriophages, beneficence, canines, Francis Crick, Digital, DNA, E-Cell, eukaryotes, Haemophilus Influenzae, neanderthals, nuclear transfer, oxygen, Post-human, primates, RNA, Fred Sanger, Lucy Shapiro, Hans Spemann, quorum sensing, stewardship, Trans-human, UV radiation, James Watson
11. The Japanese effort to turn Mycoplasma genitalium into a computer-simulated version of the cell was the ______ project.
12. ________ demonstrated that bacteria are not just disorganized bags of proteins, and showed that seemingly-discrete events in the bacterial life cycle are actually connected.
13. Drug resistant infections may be treated in the future with synthetic _______.
15. Guiding ethical principles relevant to the social implications of emerging technologies include _______.
16. Bacteria coordinate the behaviors of their cell populations via ________.
17. Humans and ______ share 3-4% of their DNA.
18. ______ is both an information carrier and an enzyme.
19. This is the _____ Age of Biology.
20. The first live organism sequenced by Venter's method was _____.
EXTRA CREDIT: After reading Life at the Speed of Light, do you agree or disagree with Craig Venter that life on Earth is not "special, or unique," that we are not alone in the cosmos, and that the new era of synthetic biology will be empowering and extraordinary? Why?
OR, supply & respond to your own DQ.