Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Eugenics!

I love this chapter in Sandel's book. He's really breaking down the dividing line between advocates or eugenics and opposers. I had noises that eugenicists in Cali agreed with the early nazi eugenic movement. However, I was pondering on this... Is selecting your child's characteristics  as proposed by the liberal eugenics process any different from the way we naturally select for a mate? For example we've all heard some describe the traits they desire in a mate and what their kids are going to look like so on and so forth, isn't that just a primitive way of selecting for genes that you like and want to see in your child? I could be way off but that's what popped in my mind while reading the chapter. By the way I'm neither for nor against eugenics I don't think I've had enough time to ponder the subject to take a stance .

No comments:

Post a Comment