Sunday, April 28, 2013

Let's Go Green! Wait, Why? (Final Blog (2 of 4))


Today’s blog is to expose some common man opinions on what Going Green is about and how it affects our life.

Chris Davis (College Freshman)
1.      What do you know about recycling?
-         I use to sort it out and take it off for school.
2.     Do you try to save electricity?
-         Yes, I turn the lights off, and I am conscious about leaving the water on.
3.     Do you support anything that is Go Green?
-         Yes, I Nissan I worked on the Leaf. It was a hybrid car. I would buy one because I hate paying so much for gas.
4.     As Americans, what do you think our biggest problem is?
-         The government. They control how the trash is handled here.
5.      How do you think that problem could be solved?
-         They could implement something that either makes recycling law or make people more aware of what they should do.
6.     Oil is our largest natural resource component. As a capitalist, how do you feel about the oil companies?
-         I understand the world is run by money. Nothing more to say.
7.     What will you do when oil goes up to $10/gal because the amount that’s attainable depletes?
-         Ride my horse more often.
8.    What do you think about the forest?
-         I don’t think we will have one after 30 yrs.
9.      Some Go Green advocates are trying to impose the next generation to use computers instead of paper. How do you feel about that?
-         We had to talk about that in my sociology class.  It is going to happen no matter who pushes it. I do not support it but the younger generation thinks it is awesome.
10. Last Monday was Earth Day. Did you do anything to celebrate it?
-         I saw it on Google and reminded myself to never litter.
11.   Do you feel that you contribute to our progress into a Greener America?
-         I don’t litter

Barbara Dodd (40 yr. old Business Owner)
1.      What do you know about recycling?
-         I recycle newspapers and oil from my restaurant.
2.     Do you try to save electricity?
-         Yes, but only because I pay the bills. Not for an eco reason.
3.     Do you know what you are paying for?
-         Yes, I am paying for the process that goes into sending water and electricity to my house.
4.     Do you support anything that is Go Green?
-         Yes, for my restaurant I use all eco-friendly paper products as well as recycling the oil that comes out of the kitchen.
5.     As Americans, what do you think our biggest problem is?
-         Convenience. Back in the day, bottles were reused over and over. Everyone wasn’t so germ phobic. It was “cleaner” to dry clothes on a line than a dryer. We didn’t have to get everywhere so fast so we had time to just walk down to the store. Convenience has really diluted our sense of eco-friendliness.
6.      How do you think that problem could be solved?
-         It’s not always about coming up with new ways of energy but harnessing so old ideas of how to use it. People are lazy and arrogant. They feel that using old ideas is taking a step back in the evolutionary world. Things as simple as paper bags, drying clothes outside, or putting milk back into glass bottles is just overlooked.
7.     Some Go Green advocates are trying to impose the next generation to use computers instead of paper. How do you feel about that?
-         Common sense is recycling needs to be enforced. Omitting paper will be a bigger problem.
8.     Last Monday was Earth Day. Did you do anything to celebrate it?
-         Did not realize that.

Heather Groves (High School Senior)
1.      How do you feel about hydroelectric power?
-         It’s good and I would invest in it but at my age, it’s not my decision.
2.     Do you participate in any recycling program?
-         Yes. Not at home but school requires anyone who wants to be a part of the National Honor Society to be actively involved in the Recycling program which recycles all paper used the at High School, Middle School, and Technology Center.
3.     Do you use anything that is recycled?
-         Plastic bottles but I don’t pick them because they are recycled. I just use them because my mom buys them. I also use recycled paper at school. My school is very pro-active about recycling.
4.     Do you drink out of plastic bottles?
-         Yes. A LOT!
5.     Do you just throw the plastic bottles in the trash?
-         At home, yes, but at school, they are recycled.
6.     Do you try to save electricity?
-         No because I don’t pay the bills
7.     Do you support anything that is Go Green?
-         No, I am too young.
8.    Would you buy a Hybrid car?
-yes but only because it’s cheaper on gas, not for the environment.
9.     As Americans, what do you think our biggest problem is?
-         Lack of education about the condition of our planet.
10. How do you think that problem could be solved?
-         Commercials on TV. Everyone watches TV. Kind of like that No Bullying thing they are doing now.
11.  Oil is our largest natural resource component. As a capitalist, how do you feel about the oil companies?
-         They control the world.
12. What will you do when oil goes up to $10/gal because the amount that’s attainable depletes?
-         I will still buy it. I have to get places.
13. What do you think about the forest?
-         They are pretty? I know quite a bit about the effects we have on our wooded areas because of school. But I feel when there is a real problem, we will simply cut back.
14. Some Go Green advocates are trying to impose the next generation to use computers instead of paper. How do you feel about that?
-         We can plant more trees. There are a lot of studies about the effects of the computer to the mind, and most of them are not good results.
15.  Last Monday was Earth Day. Did you do anything to celebrate it?
-         Last week was Earth Day?
16. As a Christian, do you feel that you contribute to our progress into a Greener America?
-         Passively, yes. I don’t litter.

Kasey Ward (College Senior)
1.      How do you feel about hydroelectric power?
-         I don’t know what it is
2.     Do you just throw the plastic bottles in the trash?
-         Yes. I only recycle if I pass one of those blue trash cans.
3.     Do you try to save electricity?
-         Yes, I always turn the lights out, don’t leave things running.
4.     As Americans, what do you think our biggest problem is?
-         We use way too many plastic bottles. Depend on being convenient too much. No consciuous choices are being made.
5.      How do you think that problem could be solved?
-         Awareness. Letting people know what the problem is and what their carbon footprint is.
6.     Oil is our largest natural resource component. As a capitalist, how do you feel about the oil companies?
-         They know everyone has to have gas. That’s why it’s so high. Everything is about money.
7.     What do you think about the forest?
-         I think we should do what we can, to use what we already destroyed. They are resources for a reason.
8.    Some Go Green advocates are trying to impose the next generation to use computers instead of paper. How do you feel about that?
-         They won’t have a problem with it. Paper is messy.
9.      Last Monday was Earth Day. Did you do anything to celebrate it?
-         Didn’t even know about it.
10.Do you feel that you contribute to our progress into a Greener America?
-         No not at all. I got too much to worry about to be worrying about where my trash is going.

These interviews put in perspective various people’s approaches to Go Green. They see it more of a chore and less as a necessity. Another point I have is the fact that most people assume Go Green is just about recycling. There is so much more out there. Animal rights is an important issue. Not the kind of animals that are used for the greater good, but for our selfish needs. For example, make-up and jewelry heavily inflict upon foreign animals like hippos. Go green advocates have programs that are just for animals.
Cars are another big problem we have. Everyone is so focused on bigger, faster, better. They forget the implication that has on the environment. Hybrid cars may cost a few thousand dollars more but it would pay for itself in a year cutting down gas usage and pollution.
Do not forget about food. Americans consume ¾ more pesticide and/or steroid inflicted food than any other country. Go Green is very pro-active in reducing America’s dependency to steroids and pesticides.

Go Green is a national phenomenon that brings people of all kinds together for something we all have in common. Mother Earth. It’s not about being a Nazi. It’s the small steps, minor details, and simple awareness that Go Green strives for.

BTW, Dr. Oliver, I will indeed address the passive aggressive definition very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment