Thursday, February 26, 2015

Athletic enhancement presentation. 
(Greg, Rory, and Ramsey) 

Greg's contribution. 

Health Effects of Athletic Enhancements

Apart form the obvious negative bioethical associations, drugs used to enhance athletic performance have got and are associated with extreme health consequences which in turn present a whole new aspect of bioethics not associated with sports, but with health issues and burdens on society at large.
Steroidal use in Athletes is associated with:

In Men:
Reduced sperm production
Testicular atrophy
Gynecomastia
Male-pattern baldness

In women:
Masculinization/defeminization of the female body and genitalia

Additional effects are:
Cardio vascular disease
Premature growth plate closure
Liver tumors
Acne
Prostate Cancer

Given the high prevalence of some of these conditions in steroid abusing individuals, should it be allowed knowing full well the possible health consequences? Where can we/do we draw a line with these substances? Should we as a community be expected to pay for the medical costs incurred later on in life? Are the potential harms of these substances really worth the athletic enhancement? At what cost are we prepared to accept the entertainment value of enhancement? Is there any meaning full payback for society associated with Steroid abuse?

These are just some of the questions that are raised as a result of steroid abuse. Most people have the opinion that “its their body, who are we to stand in their way”. But what happens when these drugs have an ultimate cost to society. In a world where there are so many real issues, is this something we should be encouraging and tolerating? Our freedoms and actions are always limited by the extent to which they harm others. We should not loose track of our interconnectedness. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm not an author, so I'll post my contribution here ..

    Our topic is athletic enhancement, and I will present a viewpoint that most people may not be used to. Our whole group is focusing more on steroids for our presentations, but I am going to present a more personal perspective of the topic. First, for the past several years I have been into working out and weight resistance training. Most of the people I work out alongside are amateur weight lifters with no intentions of ever competing professionally in bodybuilding or any sports. Over my years in the gym I have gotten to know many people big and small, and I have also been able to watch many people grow and make progress as I have. When the subject of athletic enhancement is brought up it piques my interest due to these personal experiences. The war against steroids is something I take particular interest in because I have gotten to know several people over the last few years that have a lot of experience with anabolic steroids and I have gained my perspective from those observations and information I have learned at school. I am very conflicted when it comes to steroids due to what I do know, what I don’t know, the public perspective, and also the fact that they are illegal. If you question me on my stance it probably won’t take you very long to see where I may contradict myself or be unsure of what I feel is right or wrong.



    My talking points:

    The side effects. (Acne, testicular atrophy, “roid rage”)

    Responsible use (professional vs. amateur, cycling off, proper pct)

    ReplyDelete